When we publish outputs from the 2022 census, we want to help users:
- access as much census information as legally possible
- use the latest technology to access and analyse data
For the 2022 census, we will:
- start publishing results from the census approximately a year after collection
- develop a new outputs website that is accessible and user-friendly
- provide improved functionality to help users create their own data tables
Before we publish census outputs, we will run a consultation to seek feedback on our plans. The consultation will launch in Summer 2022.
Sign up to our newsletter to keep up-to-date with the latest news about the consultation.
Our outputs strategy sets out our plans for outputs in more detail.
We will use statistical disclosure control to protect the confidentiality of census information.
Plans for census outputs
We will use the Scotland’s Census website as the main platform for the publication of census outputs.
Flexible table builder
An innovation for Scotland’s Census 2022 will be the availability of a flexible table builder tool. This will allow users to create their own tables from census data.
This will reduce the need for us to create standard tables - we produced more than 400 for 2011 data.
Standard and commissioned tables
We will continue to create standard tables for most census variables by age and sex.
As in 2011, we will also have a commissioned table service. Users will be able to request a table that is not available in the flexible table builder.
We will also create specialist output products such as census microdata and origin-destination data tables.
All outputs from Scotland’s Census 2022 will include:
- accompanying metadata information
- variable classifications to provide context on the output variables and geographies
Quality assurance of outputs
We are developing robust methodology for each step of the census data journey. This is a key part of ensuring quality in our work.
Find out more about our plans for statistical quality assurance of census data.
Working with users
We have asked users what they need and want to help them access outputs. We have also looked at what went well when we published 2011 data.
You can access copies of presentations and materials from stakeholder events we have held.
Contact us if you have any questions or suggestions.
We have updated data users on plans for census outputs dissemination at a number of public events:
At this event we outlined our statistical disclosure control strategy and plans for census outputs.
February and March 2018
At these events we discussed our Scotland's Census outputs strategy. We also took feedback from data users on our plans for publishing outputs.
November and December 2018
At these events we presented out initial plans for outputs from new census questions. We also took feedback from users about their requirements for outputs from new questions.
At these events we:
- discussed plans for census output geographies
- outlined our initial plans for specialist census outputs, such as microdata and origin-destination data
- took feedback from users about the Scotland's Census website
At these events we outlined our plans for publishing census outputs.