UK census data
The responsibility for running censuses in the UK is split between:
- National Records of Scotland for Scotland's Census 2022
- Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency for the 2021 Census in Northern Ireland
- the Office for National Statistics for the 2021 Census in England and Wales
The Office for National Statistics is also responsible for publishing census statistics for the whole of the UK.
2011 census data
The previous UK censuses took place on 27 March 2011- see 2011 census statistics for the UK.
After the 2011 census, the Office for National Statistics published a report on how the 3 UK censuses compare (PDF, 930kb)
A key aim for the 2021 and 2022 censuses is to produce consistent and coherent outputs for:
- the whole of the UK
- each country within the UK
The then Registrars General of Scotland, England and Wales, and Northern Ireland initially agreed to hold censuses at the same time in 2021.
However, the 2021 census in Scotland was moved to 2022 due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. We are working closely with ONS and NISRA and our data users on implications for UK outputs.
We are working to design the next Scottish census in a way that is consistent with the other UK censuses. You can find out more about how we will work together in:
- the initial agreement between the National Statistician and the Registrars General for Scotland and Northern Ireland (PDF 168kb)
- a second progress report
- an updated agreement following the delay of Scotland's Census to 2022
The 3 census offices work closely with each other in many areas, such as:
- the topics the census asks about
- lessons learned from each census
- best practice
The aim is to harmonise our approaches and increase our ability to produce UK-wide outputs.
However, there will be some differences to:
- the questions asked
- how the data is processed
- some of the detailed methodology
We will continue to report on efforts to harmonise the UK's censuses, as well as areas where it is not possible to be fully aligned.
Are you a UK census data user?
A new user working group has been set up for UK census data for 2021 and 2022.
The group will be an opportunity for census offices and UK census data users to share information and feedback.
This group is looking for UK census data users in Scotland to understand what UK data they are using and what would be useful.
If you are interested in joining this group, please contact email@example.com and help shape the provision of future UK census data.