2011 census: Census test and rehearsal
We ran a census test in 2006 and a rehearsal in 2009.
These helped us test our questionnaire and our ways of running the census.
The census test took place on 23 April 2006. It aimed to test new questions and different ways of completing the questionnaire.
About 52,000 people across Scotland completed a test census form. Outcomes from the census test impacted the census rehearsal in 2009.
Read evaluation documents from the census test:
- Census Test Evaluation Report - background to the test, main findings and recommendations
- Fieldwork Evaluation - publicity, community liaison, questionnaire design, logistics, fieldstaff recruitment and pay
- Evaluation of Data Capture Contract - procurement arrangements for scanning each questionnaire and reading the hand writing/text electronically
- Statistical Evaluation - analysis of the test results
- Annex A: Data Collection Methodology
- Annex B: Follow Up Survey
- Annex C: Frequency Counts for 2006 Test Questions
- Annex D: Cross Tabs of Respondents' Views with Responses to Questions
- Evaluation of Governance Procedures - outlines our internal organisation arrangements
- Statistical Evaluation of the 2006 Census Test in Scotland: Methodology Review - our approach to the household income question and questionnaire post out arrangements
We rehearsed our approach to the 2011 census on 29 March 2009.
About 50,000 people in West Edinburgh and Lewis and Harris completed rehearsal census questionnaires. For the first time, people could complete the census online, in English or Gaelic.
The census helped us to improve our approach with groups such as:
- Gaelic speakers
- People living in rural areas
- People in communal establishments, such as hospitals or student housing
Find out more about the rehearsal in the evaluation report executive summary.
We also produced a series of reports about specific areas of operation. These covered lessons learned and recommendations for 2011.
- Census Coverage Survey
- Census Helpline
- Census Quality Survey
- Communal Establishments
- Community Liaison
- Contract Management
- Direct Returns
- Downstream Processing
- Field and Remote Office System
- Field Instructions
- Field Management Information System
- Field Offices
- Field Staff Payroll
- Field Staff Recruitment
- Field Staff Training
- Field Supplies (Logistics)
- Internet Services
- Paper Data Capture and Coding
- Postal Services
- Standard Enumeration