Communal establishment type
A communal establishment is an establishment providing managed residential accommodation. ‘Managed’ in this context means full-time or part-time supervision of the accommodation.
Types of communal establishment include:
- Sheltered accommodation units where fewer than 50 per cent of the units in the establishment have their own cooking facilities, or similar accommodation where residents have their own rooms, but the main meal is provided. If half or more possess their own facilities for cooking (regardless of use) all units in the whole establishment are treated as separate households.
- Small hotels, guest houses, bed & breakfasts, inns and pubs with residential accommodation with room for 10 or more guests (excluding the owner/manager and his/her family).
- All accommodation provided solely for students (during term-time). This includes university-owned cluster flats, houses and apartments located within student villages, and similar accommodation owned by a private company and provided solely for students. (University-owned student houses that were difficult to identify and not clearly located with other student residences are treated as households, and houses rented to students by private landlords are also treated as households.) Accommodation available only to students may include a small number of care-taking or maintenance staff, or academic staff.
- Accommodation available only to nurses. This includes cluster flats and similar accommodation, provided solely for nurses. Nurses’ accommodation on a hospital site that does not also contain patients is treated as a separate communal establishment from the hospital (and not categorised as a hospital), so that nurses are treated as ‘residents’ and not ‘resident staff’ or ‘patients’. This ensures consistency with similar nurses’ accommodation not on a hospital site.
Total number of categories 28
|01||Mental health hospital/unit (including secure units)|
|03||Children's home (including secure units)|
|04||Care home with nursing|
|05||Care home without nursing|
|07||Home or hostel|
|08||Sheltered housing only|
|09||Care home with nursing|
|10||Care home without nursing|
|11||Children's home (including secure units)|
|12||Mental health hospital/unit (including secure units)|
|14||Other medical and care establishment|
|16||Prison service establishment|
|17||N/A for Scotland - (Approved premises - probation/bail hostel)|
|18||Detention centres and other detention establishments|
|20||Hotel, guest house, B&B, youth hostel|
|21||Hostel for the homeless or temporary shelter|
|23||Other travel or temporary accommodation|
|25||Staff/worker accommodation only|
|XX||No code required - comprises records indicating people sleeping rough|
Source question or variables
MNAGEMENT (Primary variable)
ESTNATURES11 (Primary variable)
- KS405SC - Communal establishment residents
- QS420SC - Communal establishment management and type - Communal establishments
- QS421SC - Communal establishment management and type - People
- DC3402SCca - Long-term health problem or disability by communal establishment type by age
- DC4112SC - Living arrangements of young adults by sex
- DC4211SCca - Communal establishment type by ethnic group
- DC4414SCca - Communal establishment type by type of resident by sex by age
- DC4801SCca - Communal establishment type by resident type and whether or not resident one year ago
- DC6108SC - Economic activity of full-time students by student accommodation by age
(ESTNATURES11 provides a slightly more detailed breakdown of establishment type than CECTMCS11. Detailed Characteristics tables make use of this information to sub-divide education establishments into ‘Halls of residence and student accommodation’ and ‘Schools and other education establishments’.)
This variable describes the nature of the establishment.
It is based on the responses to the questions below. In addition there is a box for enumerator use only which is ticked for persons sleeping rough.
Total number of categories 17
|05||Residential care home|
|06||Children's home (including secure units)|
|07||Other medical and care home|
|08||Defence establishment (including ships)|
|09||Prison service establishment|
|10||Probation and bail hostel|
|11||Educational establishment (including halls of residence)|
|12||Hotel, boarding house, guest house|
|13||Hostels (including youth and homeless)|
|14||Civilian ship, boat or barge|
|16||Religious community (Northern Ireland only)|
|17||Persons sleeping rough|